Editor’s note: Young Bailee Madison, who has spent all 15 years of her life in front of the camera, shares her favorite tips here for young people who want to be part of her profession.
1. First and most importantly, make sure you really, truly love it because it’s not just you who is going to be doing it. It’s going to be your whole family sacrificing so you can do this. So make sure it’s something you love.
2. We all know the glamorous side, the red carpets and the make-up artists and the beautiful clothes. But you must realize that’s not all it is. It’s 3 a.m. call times and night shoots and freezing cold weather and your feet are numb and it takes a very long time and a lot of work to build a base – to build that career.
3. If you are in school, start with the school play. That’s a perfect way to try this out. So try out for the play and see if you like it.
4. Educate yourself. Watch the best movies, watch the best TV. Learn what works, and study it.
5. Finally, I find myself lately drawn to everything behind the scenes – drawn to the craft of it, the cinematography and the wardrobe and the directors and the hair and make up – it takes a whole team. I think when you dive into all of that it sparks your interest even more. Learn about everything that goes into it.
- Bailee Madison