By Greg Carannante
City & Shore Magazine
The Seminole Hard Rock Winterfest Boat Parade will be hip-hopping up the Intracoastal this year with rapper Pitbull throwin’ down from the Grand Marshal Showboat. But there’ll be a bounty of other eye-popping attractions celebrating the event’s 45th anniversary and its theme of “Comics & Cartoons Rockin’ the Night Away.”
Along with the Grand Marshal Showboat sponsored by Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino and JM Lexus, other entries illuminating the Fort Lauderdale waterways on Dec. 10 will include:
- Santa’s Showboat, Fireworks Barge and Phantom Rescue on Flyboards.
- Anthony’s Coal Fired Pizza and BIG 105.9 radio personalities Paul and Young Ron aboard Summerwind.
- WSVN-Ch. 7 Showboat displaying images from cartoon television series.
- South Florida Ford Barge, Miami Marlins All-Star Showboat and Renaissance Festival pirates display.
- Junior Captain Daniel Moreno representing the Ann Storck Center aboard the Showboat powered by Florida Power and Light.
- Brands from Republic National Distributing Co., such as Taittinger Champagne, The Macallan Single Malt Scotch Whisky, San Angelo Pinot Grigio and Trivento Malbec wines, featuring NSYNC founding members Joey Fatone and Chris Kirkpatrick.
- The 45th Anniversary Barge, created by Commodore Doug Jones’ Sixth Star Entertainment.
- A 20-foot dragon, storm troopers, flyboards, barges and more.
The parade embarks at 6:30 p.m. along the New River in downtown, traveling north on the Intracoastal to Lake Santa Barbara in Pompano Beach. The Grandstand Viewing Area at Hugh Taylor Birch State Park offers reserved and assigned seating plus free family activities in the Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital Zone and live entertainment in the Stella Artois Culinary Courtyard. Spectators will be able to vote for their favorite boat by downloading the free Winterfest app, which also will track the parade.
Tickets are available at Crown Wine and Spirits, Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino or online at winterfestparade.com.